Site News...

NEWS FLASH: Hii bb ;3

May 17, 2011

Developer - gamers don't want their hands held through experiences anymore

I think games in general used to be a little bit simpler, but also a little bit more demanding. I'm not sure if consumers actually want all of this handholding we're offering them now. ...I think that studios really have to find a balance between offering more spectacle and higher production values, but I think maybe as an industry we've gone too far in that direction - for all spectacle and too little gameplay, and games become disposable experiences instead of games which you keep playing for years and years. - producer Joonas Laakso

I really couldn't agree more with this statement. With a lot of newer games, at times it almost feels like games are on an automatic, almost cinema like track. I miss the old days when it took hours, if not days to figure out how to progress further along in a game, although a lot of that was due to technical limitations back in the day. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against having assists there for those who want them. If having a superguide like feature in a game makes it less intimidating and more accessible for a potential player, I'm all for it. I just feel assists shouldn't be shoved down everyone's throat, as there are those that don't want them.

Link

No comments:

Post a Comment